Monday, May 2, 2011

Wheelchair accessible Swings

There are many types of swings out there but one type of swing I found very innovative was the wheelchair accessible swing.  I noticed this swing at camp and it was pretty cool because I've never got to see one before.  Its a metal platform with front and rear ramps for the wheelchair to get up then the ramps are folded up and the wheel chair is locked in place.  It gives individuals who are in wheelchairs a chance to do a very basic thing such as swinging.  Its an activity that most people enjoy its very relaxing and it gives you a chance to think.  I feel this would a great modification for all parks to have because most parks these days aren't wheelchair accessible.  So having a swing set with a wheelchair accessible swing would be the first step in right direction for a leisure pastime that is accessible to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Molly do you know who makes these? If so could you email any info to bigpicguy@hotmail.ca thanks. Wonderful, thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To bigpicguy:

    I just saw this picture on another site and wanted to learn more about wheelchair accessible swings. So, I Googled "wheelchair accessible swings" and came up with over 1.3 million hits! I'm going to put up a post on my blog on assistive playground equipment and highlight this picture. I think EVERY playground should be equipped with these!

    I think these are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete